Sunday 12 January 2014

Making quick and easy homemade pasta


Making pasta is dead easy. My best friend’s boyfriend is Italian and an ex chef. He loves to cook still and I’m an eager student. The other day he casually said ‘Hey George do you want to make tortellini’. I of course jumped at the chance. The first thing he taught me was how to make was 10 egg pasta.


The ingredients are simple: 10 eggs and 1kg of 00 pasta flour


Directions

1.
On a clean work surface place the flour and make a large well.
2.
Break 10 eggs into the centre of the well making sure the sides don’t break as this gets very messy.
3.
With your hands slowly but surely bring the flour into the eggs and combine.
4.
Soon enough this will form a dough which you will need to work for around 5 mins. It should all be combined, smooth with a light yellow colour.

Once made this can be wrapped in cling film to rest in the fridge whilst you make fillings for Ravioli, Tortellini or whatever else you’re making. It can also be frozen but I recommend using it within 2-3 months of making it.


Like I said we made Tortellini (recipe to follow), a huge amount in fact, most of which is in freezer bags and can be boiled up at a moment’s notice for a great quick dinner. We don’t have a fancy pasta maker in my flat we used the old fashioned rolling pin but if you were to make spaghetti or linguini I would really recommend getting one. For my first foray into pasta making I was surprised how quick and easy this was. I really recommend that everyone give it a go and see for themselves.


Post photos of your pasta making and I’d love to hear of any tasty filling combinations you’ve come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment